How to File a Complaint

The Fair Housing Action Network (FHAN) is here to help you file a housing complaint.  If you think your rights have been violated, please call the FHAN at (304) 296-6091 or

HUD is also ready to help with any problem of housing discrimination. The Housing Discrimination Complaint Form is available for you to download, complete and return, or complete online and submit, or you may write HUD a letter, or telephone the HUD Office nearest you. You have one year after an alleged violation to file a complaint with HUD, but you should file it as soon as possible.

What to Tell HUD:
  • Your name and address
  • The name and address of the person your complaint is against (the respondent)
  • The address or other identification to the housing involved
  • A short description to the alleged violation (the event that caused you to believe your rights were violated)
  • The date(s) to the alleged violation

Where to Write or Call:
Send the Housing Discrimination Complaint Form or a letter to the HUD Office nearest you or you may call that office directly.

If You Have A Disability, HUD also provides:
  • A toll-free TTY phone for the hearing impaired: 1-800-927-9275
  • Interpreters
  • Tapes and braille materials
  • Assistance in reading and completing forms

West Virginia Fair Housing Action Network (FHAN)
(304) 296-6091     844-212-3464 (toll free)
West Virginia Fair Housing Action Network (FHAN) 
Making Housing Choice a Reality 
(304) 296-6091 
844-212-3464 (toll free)